What you need when buying fleet insurance – FAQs

If you’re considering buying or getting a quote for fleet insurance, then the following FAQs and answers might prove to be useful.

Will I need full details on all vehicles and drivers to get a quotation?

Yes and no.

Most professional providers of fleet insurance solutions should be able to give you a broad-brush estimate for the cost of your fleet cover based upon a high-level overview from you. That might need to include how many vehicles and of what type.

Of course, they will require a certain minimum level of information to work with but it should be of the ‘in your head’ type.

However, in order to provide an exact policy proposition with final precise costings in due course, they will typically require more detailed information from you.

Do I need to offer details of previous claims?

Although your insurance provider may have access to their own sources for claim statistics, typically yes, you will be asked for the details of any claims made on your fleet policy within a specified period of time in the past.

Please don’t be tempted to ‘water-down’ any required declarations here. It may put your cover at risk and might be, in some circumstances, a reportable offence.

Is it possible to cover drivers with a history of motoring convictions?

Broadly speaking, yes, although you might have to accept the reality that such convictions would need to be declared and that might result in a higher premium.

Some insurance providers might decline to offer cover in cases where a given individual’s driving history was particularly bad. It’s difficult to generalise on this one – so please talk about the specifics to your fleet insurance provider.

When would I need to declare vehicle changes to the insurance provider?

Again, this is a very difficult one to give a specific answer to because in reality it just ‘depends’.

Clearly, some vehicle changes are so trivial and routine as to be of no direct interest to your insurance provider. For example, they probably won’t thank you for calling and notifying them every time you change a lucky charm in a cab or a phone number on the side of a van!

However, for example, if you’re changing an engine over or having major structural changes to the carrying capacity of a van then it will be worth informing your insurance provider.

On balance, it’s better to check with them anyway if in doubt – at least within reason!

I might or might not operate my vehicles in Europe. What do I do?

This should typically be no problem at all.

Some policies might automatically include cover for EU destinations (this is unlikely to change much post-BREXIT). On the other hand, many might not on the basis that there’s no point paying for cover you don’t need.

If you have a policy that is restricted to UK only and that’s fine by you today, then don’t worry if things change in the future. All you should need to do is to call your insurance provider and ask them to adjust the policy’s cover.

Make sure though this is done in advance. Calls to insurance companies along the lines of “I’ve just had a shunt in Rome – should I have taken out EU cover?” might cause alarm!

Is it possible to insure any type of car or goods vehicle on a fleet insurance policy?

Typically, yes but there might be some exceptions.

There may be very large variations here by policy and insurer but special arrangements might be required for:

  • low-loaders and other specialist outsize vehicles or those designed for carrying high-volume or overweight loads under ‘Convoi Exceptionnel’ auspices;
  • ex-military or vintage vehicles (e.g. steam-powered lorries);
  • certain types of public transport vehicles;
  • very high performance cars;
  • goods vehicles designed for the carriage of dangerous goods (and assuming they’re being used for that purpose) including radioactive materials, explosives, inflammables, bio-hazard and corrosives etc.

It is still typically possible to obtain cover for these types of vehicles but they may, in some cases, not come under a standard fleet car or truck policy. Your insurance provider should be able to advise further.